Wow dinner party guests with this colourful salad topped with pink beetroot stained eggs, which are very much on trend. Borrowing their pretty pink hue from beetroot’s natural vibrant colour, these delicate pink eggs partner wonderfully with the earthy traditional beetroot, crunchy croutons, savoury Parma ham and fresh leaves.
|For the salad|
|6 Traditional cooked beetroot (cooked beetroot dipped in vinegar) or Juniperberry & Black Pepper Infused Beetroot, sliced|
|1 tsp olive oil|
|1 thick slice of bread, crusts cut off and ripped into small chunks|
|4 slices Parma ham, torn|
|1 bag Fresh & Naked Little Leaf salad|
|For the dressing|
|2tbsp olive oil|
|2tsp red wine vinegar|
|small bunch chopped parsley|
What to do:
- Put the eggs in a pan of water, bring to the boil and cook for 6 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to cool, then remove the shell.
- Slice the beetroot and put a layer into a bowl small enough to hold the eggs snugly. Put the eggs on top then tuck more beetroot all around the eggs and add another layer over the top. Cover with cling film and chill for at least an hour, but preferably overnight.
- When the eggs are done, heat the oil in a frying pan and add the bread, toss a few times to coat in oil and season. Cook for 3-4 minutes until crisp and crunchy.
- Make the dressing by combining the oil, vinegar and parsley and seasoning.
- Set the eggs aside and toss the beetroot (reserved from staining the eggs), leaves, croutons in a bowl with the dressing then tip onto a serving plate. Halve the eggs and lay them on top with the torn ham.
Cook’s Tips: Try to pack as much beetroot as possible around the eggs to stain them evenly. The longer you leave the eggs to stain, the stronger and more even the colour will be.
Juniperberry & Black Pepper Cocktail Beetroot can be purchased from Sainsbury’s, or choose a different flavour from the infused beetroot ready-to-eat range, which is available in major retailers and includes: Spicy Sweetfire Baby Beetroot (Tesco Finest), Sweet Chilli Rosebud Beetroot (M&S), Sweet & Spicy Chilli Beetroot (Waitrose), Juniperberry & Black Pepper Cocktail Beetroot (Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference), Sweetflame Beetroot (Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference), Pomegranate & Cumin Beetroot (Waitrose) and Honey & Ginger Beetroot (ASDA).