|1x250g pack of vacuum packed beetroot, drained|
|8-12 walnut halves|
|1tbsp walnut oil|
|½ tsp sherry vinegar|
|sea salt flakes and freshly ground pepper|
|120g smoked salmon|
|2 tsp crème fraîche|
|2 sprigs of dill|
What to do:
- Take one beetroot and slice it into thin rounds. Put the salmon on a plate (if it is already sliced, then remove the plastic sheets interleaving the pieces, but arrange the slices so that they are evenly overlapping). Grind over a little pepper and lay the beetroot over the top. Cover tightly with clingfilm and put a second plate on top to weigh it down. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours (at least 4 hours).
- Cut the rest of the beetroot in half, then slice into half circles about as thick as a pound coin.
- Slice the chives finely on the diagonal. Break the walnuts into three or four pieces each.
- Mix the sliced beetroot halves, chives, walnuts, walnut oil and sherry vinegar. Season well with salt flakes and pepper. (Up to this point can be prepared 6 hours ahead).
- Just before serving, peel the beetroot circles off the salmon. Arrange the salmon, crumpling it slightly into a nest, on one large or 2 individual plates. Spoon the salad in a pile on top. Drop a dollop of crème fraîche on top. Break off tiny fronds of dill and scatter over the salad.