Spiced beetroot & apple muffins with crunchy hazelnut topping
- Makes 12
- Preparation Time:
- 10 mins
- Cooking Time:
- 20 mins
What you'll need:
- 275g plain flour
- 2 heaped tsp baking powder
- 2 heaped tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 60g caster sugar
- 175ml milk
- 250g natural cooked beetroot, grated coarsely
- 2 pink lady apples, cored & grated coarsely
for the hazelnut topping:
- 75g self raising flour
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 40g unsalted butter, cut into little cubes
- 75g demerara sugar
- 75g blanched hazelnuts, rough chopped
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a large mixing bowl. In another mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, melted butter, sugar and milk.
- Pour into the flour and mix very lightly - don't worry if it looks lumpy. Finally, gently fold through the grated beetroot and apple and spoon into the muffin cases.
- To make the topping, stir the mixed spice trough the flour, then add the butter, sugar and nuts.
- Rub between finger and thumb until crumbly and well mixed. Sprinkle evenly over the muffins.
- Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes until golden brown and springy to the touch.