|250g plain cooked (vacuum packed) beetroot, drained|
|200g quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa)|
|200g plain flour|
|200g unsalted butter*, melted|
|100g dark brown sugar|
|100g caster sugar|
|3 large eggs|
|2tbsp cocoa powder|
|2tsp baking powder|
|1tsp vanilla extract|
|Icing sugar for dusting|
What to do:
- Pre heat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 23cm loose bottomed cake tin.
- Chop the beetroot into quarters and puree in a food processor.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and put to one side – some larger pieces will give the cake a great texture.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the broken chocolate, to the processor and whizz until well mixed. Pour into the prepared cake tin and lightly level out the surface.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. The surface of the cake may have cracked a little. Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes in the tin before removing to a cooling rack.
- Dust lightly with icing sugar and serve in wedges. For dessert, this cake is great with a little crème fraiche on the side.
* For a beetroot and chocolate cake using oil instead of butter, visit the Cooking & Recipes section of www.lovebeetroot.co.uk, click the link to the recipe search section and search for chocolate cake.