Simple to make these delightful infused beetroot canapés making entertaining so easy, but pack a punch with their taste combinations.
|Horseradish Beetroot & Smoked Mackerel Canapés|
|2 smoked mackerel fillets, about 175g (peppered or plain, whatever your preference)|
|2 tbsp greek yogurt|
|1-2 tsp horseradish sauce, to taste|
|Small bunch of chives, snipped (save some for garnish)|
|Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste|
|1 pack mini oatcakes, you will need about 20-25 oatcakes|
|150g honey & ginger beetroot, cut into wedges|
|Mini Toasts with Cocktail Beetroot, Walnuts and Herby Cream Cheese|
|10 diagonally cut slices of French stick|
|150g herby cream cheese (such as boursin, or roule)|
|180g/200g juniperberry & black pepper beetroot, diced|
|25g walnuts, roughly chopped|
|Sweet Chilli Rosebud Beetroot Wrapped in Pastrami & a Dab of Horseradish, Served on Cocktail Sticks|
|1 x 80g pack pastrami, 8 slices|
|2 tsp horseradish sauce|
|180g sweet chilli rosebud beetroot|
What to do:
Horseradish Beetroot & Smoked Mackerel Canapés
- Remove and discard the skin from the mackerel and flake into a small mixing bowl. Using a fork, mix through the yogurt, horseradish and most of chives (reserve a few for garnish) and season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Top each oatcake with a little mackerel pate and a wedge of beetroot. Finally sprinkle over a few bit of chives and arrange on a serving plate or board.
Mini Toasts with Cocktail Beetroot, Walnuts and Herby Cream Cheese
- Cut each slice of bread in half to give 2 bit sized pieces. Arrange on a grill pan and toast on both sides. Allow to cool.
- Spread each piece of toast with a little cream cheese, and top with the diced beetroot. Add a piece of walnut to the top before arranging on a serving plate or board.
Sweet Chilli Rosebud Beetroot Wrapped in Pastrami & a Dab of Horseradish, Served on Cocktail Sticks
- Cut each slice of pastrami into 2 long thin strips. Smear a dab of horseradish over the pastrami.
- Take a rosebud beetroot and roll it up in a strip of pastrami and secure with a cocktail stick. Repeat with the rest of the pastrami and arrange on a serving plate or board.
Cooks’ Tip: If you can’t get your hands on infused beetroot then vacpac beetroot will work perfectly in this dish.