|250g shortcrust pastry|
|325g plain cooked (vacuum packed) beetroot, drained|
|75g soft brown sugar|
|2tsp BART ground mixed spice|
|½ tsp BART ground allspice (optional)|
|½ tsp BART ground ginger (optional)|
|250ml double cream|
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Roll out the pastry and use it to line a 23cm loose bottomed pie tin. Line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for 20 minutes.
- Whilst the pastry is baking, prepare the filling by pureeing the beetroot along with the eggs in a food processor.
- In a small saucepan add the sugar, all the spices and cream and bring slowly up to a simmering point. Pour into the food processor and mix thoroughly with the beetroot puree.
- Remove the pastry case from the oven and reduce the temperature to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Pour the filling carefully into the pastry case and bake for around 25-30 minutes. The edge should be puffed up a little and the centre will still be a touch wobbly. Allow to cool and chill in the fridge. Serve with crème fraiche.